Our mission is to provide exceptional active travel vacations and experiences in and around Glacier National Park while preserving and protecting Glacier's unique ecosystem using the best available ecologically sound practices. We join and support the National Park Service, the United States Forest Service, and the surrounding communities in efforts to preserve and conserve the Crown of the Continent Ecosystem.
We live in an area that is experiencing rapid change due to climate patterns.
We are committed to being an environmentally responsible business and are continually finding new ways to do so. We look forward to sharing Glacier with guests for generations to come.
Our environmental efforts include:
- Preserving the entrance to Glacier National Park by maintaining a vegetative screen and refusing to use billboards.
- Teaching and practicing Leave No Trace ethics on all our trips.
- Recycling paper, cardboard, aluminum, glass, plastics, steel, automobile oil, and batteries.
- Using post consumer paper in our printing and brochures.
- Purchasing wind power and hydro power (as a second option) to fulfill our electric needs.
- Using free trade and Energy Star products when available.
- Using refillable dispensers for shampoo and conditioner in our lodge.
- Using reusable dinnerware (plates, silverware and cups) instead of disposable ones on our trips.
- No longer selling bottled water (we sell refillable bottles instead).
- Selling more souvenirs with "Made in the USA" and "Eco-Sensitive" materials.
- Converting all of our light bulbs to more efficient compact fluorescent.
- In 1997, we founded Rafting for Refuse, a river clean up on the Middle Fork and North Fork of the Flathead River. Since then it has become an annual event. We have since added our "Rafting for Charity" events as well.
- We are proud to be one of the founding sponsors of ClimateRide.org, a bicycle ride promoting responsible energy use and positive action toward climate change.
- Buying organic and local food whenever possible for our trips.
The following are just some of the local companies that we are working with:
* Lifeline Farms - Victor, MT
* Great Northern Pasta Company - Whitefish, MT
* Half Moon Eggs - Columbia Falls, MT
* Kalispell Creamery - Kalispell, MT
* Mountain View Garden - Kalispell, MT
* Glacier County Honey Company - Babb MT
* Two Bear Farm - Whitefish, MT
* Perfect Cut Meats - Columbia Falls, MT
* Wheat Montana - Kalispell, MT
* Montana Huckleberry Haven - Kalispell, MT
* Western Montana Farmer's Co-op
In 2012, 2013, and again in 2014, we were honored with an EcoStar Award for our pollution prevention efforts by Montana State University in conjuction with the Montana Governor's office.
We are supporters of TAP (Travelers Against Plastic). Their goal (and ours) is to get travelers considering the option to clean their own water while traveling, avoiding the disposal of billions of water bottles around the world each year.
Please see their short informational page that simply and clearly outlines the advantages to treating your own water while traveling.
We are in the first class from the Flathead Valley to graduate from the UnCommon Sense Program, a two year program by the Yellowstone Business Partners that help businesses become more environmentally responsible.
The following is a video made for that program. It gives a glimpse into our company's environmental concern and practices.
Every little bit counts.
View Glacier Guides and Montana Raft Company's Purchasing Policy