The Montana Raft Co./Glacier Guides has been hosting "Rafting For Refuse", an annual river clean up, since 1997.
Every year on a Saturday in late June, we clean up trash at the public river access points and along the river corridor on the Middle Fork of the Flathead River. Please call our office for the exact date and details. Encourage your friends and family to come along and make this annual event another great success! Rafting For Refuse has never been so much fun!
- Volunteers meet at 9:30 am at the Montana Raft Co./Glacier Guides office located on US Hwy. 2, 1.5 miles west of West Glacier.
- Check in with the office staff to read and sign our "Acknowledgement of Risk."
- Head to the lifejacket room to get fitted in wetsuits, booties and lifejackets.
- Group picture.
- There will be a brief presentation on "Leave No Trace."
- You will then be divided into smaller groups and shuttled to various river access points.
- We pick up the river put-ins, then float the river, stopping to pick up refuse along the way, and then scour the take-out for more trash.
- It's a short shuttle back to the Montana Raft office for volleyball and a complimentary barbecue.
- The BBQ begins around 2 pm.
- There will be a prize given for the coolest piece of trash found!
To join as a volunteer (ages 12 and up), please contact the Montana Raft Co./Glacier Guides at 387-5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited.
* Although you can make requests, we cannot guarantee what section of river that a group will do. Sections of river are chosen for groups based on several factors.
Montana Raft Co/Glacier Guides provides all of the necessary rafting equipment, expert guides and staff to coordinate the day.
*Provided: Splash gear, wetsuits, booties, lifejackets, BBQ, volleyball.
* Each volunteer should have:
- work gloves (for picking up trash)
- water bottle
- warm hat/gloves
- fleece shirt/jacket
- an extra set of clothes for after the raft trip
* Please avoid wearing cotton if you can, quick drying/moisture wicking material is best.
Montana Raft Co./Glacier Guides, Inc. has always promoted a strong environmental message, with an emphasis on Leave No Trace ethics and energy conservation. During the river clean-up, your guides will provide information and insight into issues facing our river system and national park. Exposure and participation in the River Clean Up is even more important in light of growing river use, development pressure, and the expansion of mining at the headwaters of the Flathead River. Come on out and help us to preserve our rivers for generations to come!
2013 Date - Saturday, June 22nd